Monthly Archives: October 2018

[Ann] Smacc Book V1.0

The book around Smacc: the compiler-compiler framework is now available in pdf and html.

S. Ducasse


[ann] MemCached Pharo client


I copied the (Pharo) Memcached client to where is lives in Tonel format with a Baseline and a working Travis CI build against an actual memcached server in the worker.

More about memcached



The original project can be found at

As far as I can see it was written by Philippe Marschall and Ramon Leon. I ported the codebase to Pharo. This repository is a recent copy with some cleanups.

I intend to maintain this as I need it myself. The codebase should still maintain its original portability (minus the meta info, possibly).


[Ann] Nano Pi Neo + MCP9808 :)

Nano Pi Neo running PharoThings and controlling the GPIOs to take the temperature out of the MCP9808 sensor and turn on/off a LED


Great job allex.

[Call for testers] Pharo Launcher 1.4.5

Hi all,

We have been working these last ~two weeks with Christophe on the stability of the launcher. We have prepared version 1.4.5, and we would like to have some feedback.
So, we would really LOVE, if somebody can play with this version and send us feedback. Specially, if your username in your machine has characters that encoded take more than 1 byte, we really would like your feedback. We have tested with japanese characters, and others like î,ü, etc, but the more the better.
The main focus was on:

 – correct management of encodings (in all platforms)
   – of environment variables
   – of files and paths
   – of commands called through OSProcess
 – better error management in case of edge cases (like when we cannot determine the version of an image)
Just FYI: the major limitation of the launcher right now (and it was like that since ever) is that we cannot call external processes with non-ascii characters in windows. This happens because ProcessWrapper uses the ascii version of the windows API to create a process.
With what we have learnt this week, we would like to push some of these fixes to Pharo7 too soon:
 – Correct encoding/decoding of environment variables in linux/osx
 – Ability to access the encoded version of environment variables in linux/osx to give users control over the encoding they want (or even access binary data)
 – Correct encoding/decoding of environment variables in windows by using the correct windows API (current primitiveGetenv in windows uses Ascii version too…)
In the long term, we also need a solution to enhance or replace ProcessWrapper using the W (wide) version of the windows API. But that is far more work…
GC, Guille & Christophe

MDL in Pharo at Google Dev Fest Brussels

Philippe Back from HighOctane is presenting MDL Seaside at Google DevFest Brussels. MDL developed by Cyril Ferlicot and available at

Well done Phil!




[Ann] Release version v1.3.0 of MDL

Add compatibility for Gemstone smalltalk (b83d742) and (622dbdb)
MDLCell should implement an offset feature (0ae17ef)
MDLCell should allow to rorder the cells depending on the layout (desktop/tablet/phone) (a8e77dd)

Add OrderedDictionary to Gemstone compatibility package (b83d742)
GemStone expects Blocks for ifNotNil: and friends. What does this code do? (b83d742)
Bug Fixes

Closing button of MDLDialogWidget should not be of submit type but of button type (9d54da1)
MDLMenuButtonWidget should use the ID system of MDLWidget (8ad61b9)
MDLCalendar should use the id system of MDLWidget instead of recreating one (01e1f61)
Month and year selection does not work on MDLCalendarWidget (dc915cd)
First snackbar demo is broken (9497c65)

Deprecate #mdlMultilineTextField since we already have #mdlTextArea which is the common name in HTML5 (ef1e0a6)
Deprecate MDLCheckboxWidget since it does not brings anything more than the brushes (0630493)
Typo in MDLProgressBarWidget, #hyde should be #hide (a362b33)
Remove dependency to Morphic (#detectIndex:) (ab02a1f)
MDLCardTitleText should not be able to respond to #borde or #expand (7f2e2cf)
Remove dependency to JQueryUI (9ed3a6f)
Remove duplication between MDLButton and MDLAnchorButton (99b3266)
MDLCardTag has unused variables (431d7d1)
MDLCardMenu should not be able to respond to #borde or #expand (b59094d)
Remove dependency to Seaside-Development (89fa553)
Deprecate useless MDLFooterLogo since we already have MDLLogo (fa7d7985)
Remove duplication between MDLIconToggleLabel and MDLIcon>>#toggle (fa7d798)

Improve code coverage. This release increased the code coverage from 3% to 61%
Add tests. The number of tests increased from 8 to 485
Add Coverall to CI (5a37a85)
Add Demo about not raised colored buttons (7a55891)

Add demo on Elevation (f9a387c)
**UX: ** Icons in list should be clickable (43e3187)
**UX: ** Improve global UX of the demo (43e3187)
Add demo about MDLBadge>>noBackaground (f097d8f)
Add demo to explicit MDLBadge>>overlap option (f097d8f)
Add demo about MDLCell>>#hideDesktop/#hideTablet/#hidePhone (aabc92b)
Add demo about MDLCell>>#stretch/#bottom/#top/#middle (250a4b2)